Saturday, October 18, 2008

48: "The meeting" becomes "the deal"


So, remember that I was uber nervous about the meeting with the book publisher--until I prayed my way out of that, realizing that God, ultimately, is in control? Oh yeah, and He is bigger than all of us so who is there to be nervous in front of? No one.

I told God a long time ago that the only way I wanted to write a book was if it found me. In other words, it couldn't be me doing my thing. I want to do His thing and I always have wanted that.

So, on the day of my meeting, I pulled into the Red Lobster parking lot and as soon as I made it to the front door, I was greeted by three people from the publishing firm. I was immediately comfortable--and I even sat on the inside. Any one who knows me knows that I am a bit claustrophobic, which always leaves me forcing myself to sit on the outside of any aisle or seating arrangement.

But, even on the inside, I was comfortable. (And that can be taken two ways.) So, long story short, they offered me a book deal, with a manuscript deadline of April 1, which means I would be--if I sign the contract--writing and completing my first book in just six months.

There is even an option to do a second book if this first one sells well.

Wow. I am trying to wrap my mind around this. I have just been offered a book deal--the very thing that I have been praying about for a few years now. I currently have my brother, the lawyer, who also doubles as my legal counsel, combing over the contract this weekend. As soon as I hear from him, I can move forward.

But ... yeah ... exciting times around the corner ... no, wait, not around the corner--in my face right now!

4 comments:

Karen L. said...

Suzy that is totally awesome!! I hope it all works out and you can sign the contract.

I am claustrophobic too. I don't like the inside of a booth and especially not one of those half circle ones!!

Anonymous said...

Suzy! Congrats! That is amazing!

I am the same way about always sitting in the aisle or the seat that can "run if necessary". But one thing that's helped is that I can sit on the inside when it's a kid that's on the outside of me. I guess it was good for me to realize that I'm not ALWAYS claustrophobic, just when there's an adult that might not move if I needed them to.

I am so so happy for you!

Seyi said...

This is all so exciting! Can't wait to hear more.

Mom! Dude! said...

Oh my gosh, Suzy! How absolutely wonderful! I am beyond thrilled for you! And please, please, please promise me an autographed copy!