Thursday, September 11, 2008

11: September 11

***I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU***
Before I write about one of the saddest days in our nation's history, I want to hear from everyone on the gas situation. I just heard that gas is going to shoot up to more than $5/gallon tomorrow. Is this affecting everyone? What about where you are at?

***

Interesting how my Day 11 fell on this day -- September 11th. I remember that I was in an 8:30 a.m. journalism class at the University of Florida (with Professor Julie Dodd), when "September 11" began. As we were all sitting in class -- yawning, most of the class mostly sleepy still -- people were jumping from burning buildings.

In the corridors of J-school at UF, there are TVs that continuously flash news from around the world. I saw a group of students hovering over those televisions and I was curious. I walked over to the Reitz Union to grab a breakfast biscuit from Wendy's, and I sat in front of a TV, where I saw Peter Jennings on a handful of televisions.

I sat at a small table for two -- my backpack occupying the seat in front of me -- when I saw the burning buildings. I think it was then that I began to realize that this thing that was happening to our nation was a BIG deal.

As I was riding the bus back to my car in the commuter lot, I tucked my sandwich in my pink backpack. I was furiously calling friends, and really had no time for my now-almost cold biscuit.

I called a girlfriend, who told me that everyone in her office at work was stopped in their tracks, standing around the TV in their break room because there was "some crazy stuff going on in New York." I immediatley called my best friend, Ashley, and we talked about what was happening.

I got home to my little one bedroom and hit record on the VCR. We hung up with each other and called a slew of our friends -- many of them were still sleeping. I sat back and listened to Peter, with Ashley on the phone again.

We stayed with each other -- via phone -- for hours.

I cried as I watched. I was so shaken. I felt like the entire earth had just been shaken. You know what? I believe it had been. My heart just ached. I honestly have to say that I was never again the same. That day forever changed me.

Today at work, we had a moment of silence at 4 p.m. I closed my eyes and said a prayer for the families who will always hurt -- even when it's not 9/11. But, just knowing that there was extra pain on this day, caused me pain. Man, it's so sad.

So, I'll always remember where I was on that day -- on 9/11. And I'll always remember that I spent that day with Peter Jennings -- who has, too, sadly now passed -- and my children, who were babies at the time. So, where were you on that day?

7 comments:

Karen L. said...

I was actually in a tanning bed listening to KTK when the 1st plane hit. I jumped up and was out in the salon watching the tv in a few minutes and was there for about an hour until I picked up my two girls who were, in of all places, on a field trip to a post office...A US GOVERNMENT BUILDING!! After I got them safe and sound we spent the rest of the day at home huddled in front of the TV...

Karen

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Karen,
Thank you for sharing. There was comfort for me with my loved ones that day, as well. Thanks again for sharing!!

Stace said...

I'm horrible. I heard about it after my English class in college, saw some of it on TV then went to my boyfriends house and slept for most of the afternoon. I'm bad I know, and I think now that I'm SLIGHTLY older I realize it was a big deal it IS a big deal, but still oddly enough recall where I was. . . .:/

Stace said...

oh and gas prices. . yeah I heard they are going up within the next 2 days. . .I'm totally filling up tomorrow by the way.

Jenny O. said...

Many of our stations are out of gas or limiting the amount of gallons you can purchase. I found a station about an hour ago that allowed me to fill up. Craziness.

On 9-11 I was at home, watching Good Morning America as the second plane hit. I called my daddy, then my (now) husband and spent the day in front of the t.v. with a friend, watching the coverage. I think that was the day I realized I wanted to be a reporter- in the action so I could get the details, instead of sitting back trying to decipher it all.

( PS: Good to read things from you again, Suzy. I've been missing your posts.)

Anonymous said...

i was in class. afterward, i went to the campus radio station, where i worked, and everyone was crowded around the tv and crying. i spent the rest of the day there.

btw...i live just north of atlanta, and gas is between $3.89-$4.25 here. we've had at least 2 stations run completely out of gas, though, because everyone is panicking.

Anonymous said...

I was watching Good Morning America and they showed the first plane having hit the tower.

Then the Gas Guy came to hook up my new stove, AND we were in the middle of a bedroom redo at the time, so the gas guy and I sat on the edge of my bed, which was in the living room, and stared with teary eyes at the TV for about 45 minutes.

I live in a small town and probably know the gas guy, but I can't remember who it was now. I only remember us crying, while sitting on my bed.

It was so horrific. It's still horrific.