Wednesday, September 17, 2008

17: I hurt.

"How is it that my legs and back are this sore after just a three-mile walk?!" I asked my husband over a piping hot plate of lasagna he had just served up. Yum. There is nothing better than a hot plate of lasagna -- when you haven't had to slave over it and cook it yourself. (Hubby gets brownie points today.)

So, my friend, J, and I have been walking three times a week. Yesterday, we pushed ourselves and did three miles. I know it doesn't sound like much, but in this stuffy, Florida heat, it is a lot. I am just so sore.

And then I remembered that *other* little workout I had last night. "Oh yeah," I said to hubby. "Maybe it wasn't the walk after all. Maybe, it was that uh... other workout ... the, uh, jog we went on."

He just smiled. And the kids had no clue what we were really talking about.

How long will that last, though? I feel like --any day now -- I am going to wake up and have teenagers. And, that makes me sad. Well, I'm torn. On one hand, I cannot wait for them to all be out of diapers. On the other, can't I just freeze them at a perfect age?

Last night, hubby and I were chatting. "We're done, right?"

"Oh yes!"

Um, we were talking about kids, okay?

"You don't want just one more?" I asked.

"No," he said quickly. "I miss sleeping."

He seemed fine, but I was torn and sad.

And then, when he saw me looking sad, he sad "If you want another one in eight years, we can do it."

"Really?!" And I smiled. And then I said, "No. We are really done."

I just know that we are. I knew I was going to have four children a long time ago. It makes me want to cry and smile at the same time.

4 comments:

Karen L. said...

I know just what you mean. I know I am done now and it makes me so sad to think of never being pregnant again (did we really complain when we were pg? What were we thinking??!!) Also the idea of never welcoming in that new life and nursing..(oh how I loved nursing my babies). The other night..well about a month ago my hubby asked the same thing...he said, "do you want to have one more?" I said, "No ...and yes..."

Marjorie said...

I knew after my third child that we were done. There is just something inside of you that tells you, this is it. It is sad, in a way. Until those grandchildren start coming. Then you realize, it's not really over. The new life cycle starts all over again, and there is so much fulfillment in being a grandmother. The joy of holding that newly born grandbaby so satisfies that desire for another baby.

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Yep, you guys, that is pretty much how I feel ... like I am done and it is really sad right now!

Stace said...

hey if you want to come and help me with mine then you can. . .well you know when I have them that is. maybe i should get your number now so when i have mine i can call you on those late nights and see what the heck i'm supposed to do. :D say yes go on. :)