Monday, September 15, 2008

15: Two words you NEVER want to hear...

...in a grocery store line.

So, I'm baffled. Why do people -- employees -- say the craziest things in front of customers? I wonder if it's because they become numb to us. There are so many of us, that they just don't realize that we are standing there.

So, I was standing with my daughter as the cashier was scanning the few items I picked up for dinner -- some chicken and pasta salad -- when the bagger said this thing. I swear, my eyes must have bulged out of my head.

But, I have an intrinsic mom quality about me. Yes, that happens when you have four children. "Oh, honey. It will be okay. Just close your eyes and imagine you are somewhere else. Believe me, I have four kids."

"Really?" she asked.

"Yes." And before I knew it, my groceries were in my green Publix bag (yay! for me, remembering my bag!) and we were walking away.

"Good luck with that," I said. "You know, the baby."

You are dying to know the two words right? Brace yourselves:

Vaginal probe! (She was talking about her upcoming first ultrasound.)

Wow! I don't think I've ever heard that one before. I've had one before, but I've never really talked about it -- so openly. She was young -- a first-time mom. So, I felt for her. I don't know, maybe she just felt overly comfortable with me. Or maybe she forgot that she was bagging a strange woman's groceries who did not really need to hear those two words right before dinner.

I'm not the only one, am I? You have a grocery-story story yourself, don't you? I mean, I can't be the only one.

7 comments:

Mom! Dude! said...

Suzy, did you catch the girl's name? Coz I may know who she is (a relative of mine that works at Publix on Tower Road)...sounds like something she'd say....that's just tooooooo funny!

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Oooh, I hope I didn't out anyone. Actually, this was at a different Publix:-)

Karen L. said...

OH MY...Suzy you handled it like a pro!! You'll never look at her again... every time you see her at Publix those two words will flash in your brain, "Oh..there is vaginal probe girl"...lol

Stace said...

O.M.G. that's hilarious! I've never had any baggers say anything but normally either my cashier bags or I don't have that much stuff to have a bagger, you know this whole single, no kids, no boyfriend thing I don't have to have a lot of groceries in the house. :)

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Vaginal probe girl. hahahahahaha!

Emily said...

I once had two teenage girls talking about their lingerie choices and so on. It wasn't just bras and panties. I glared at them the whole time and luckily my kids were too young to understand.

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Yeah, I am so lucky that my dd did not hear it! That would have been horrible and what fun I would have had trying to explain it!