Sunday, September 14, 2008

14: Running Away

Today, I jumped in the mom van and ran away from my mom life.

It all began just after 3 p.m. My 10-year-old had begged me to join the Boy Scouts and I reluctantly took him along with my 7-year-old and 2-year-old. (I didn't reluctantly take the older ones; I reluctantly took the 2-year-old.)

But, he begged. "I wanna go! Momma! I wanna go! Momma. Please! I wanna go!" As soon as I gave him the nod, he was dressing himself. The meeting was at our favorite local park, Kanapaha Park, which I knew would be scorching hot, so my hubby opted to stay home with the baby.

As soon as we arrived, I knew I had made the number one mom mistake. I had assumed. (Why?! Why?! Did I assume ... haven't I already learned that lesson?) I had assumed that -- considering the heat -- there would be some kind of cold drinks provided.

I know better than to assume, so I was kicking myself when we walked up to a small crowd sitting at a picnic table sans the refreshments. I knew I should have had water for all my kiddies, but I was in such a rush to get them out the door.

My 2-year-old (we'll call him E) spotted a cooler at the next table over ... an ice-filled cooler and about 20 guys from a University of Florida fraternity. Real nice, son. But, that's where he wanted to be the entire. time. They had soccer balls, food and drinks; what did he need with the Boys Scouts table?

The first full hour was a fight. I kept chasing him over there; and dragging him back to our little table. At one point, he was screaming all the way back "I wannna play, momma! I waaannnaaa plaaay!"

"Fine. But, you can't play with them!" I sternly said.

My final solution -- and as I was on the verge of tears -- was the toddler swing. He loved it so much that he absolutely refused to get out as the meeting ended. "Time to go, E!"

"No, momma, no! I don't wanna go!"

And then he went limp. So, there I was, trying to pry him out of that swing (you know, the kind pictured below.) My oldest son was holding the swing, my daughter was pulling his legs out and I was pulling as hard as I possibly could. The first three times, we all failed. And, finally, I pulled with all my might when he practically flew out of the swing.

I was beet-red, sweat -- and tears -- dripping from my face. Thank God for sunglasses! I grabbed his fat, little hand and pulled him, as he fought the entire way. I was sure that everyone was watching me just fall apart.

"This has been the worst two hours of my life!" I shouted as we got in the van. The two older kids remained quiet. I pulled up to the driveway. "Everyone out!" I was hysterical. I dropped them off with hubby, and peeled out of the driveway.

I was determined to run away ... all the way to the Publix parking lot. I sat in my air conditioned van and just sobbed. I called a friend in Ohio, who has six kids. "She can help me," I thought. But this is all I got when I called: "Not taking incoming calls. Call at a later time."

No! This has to be a mistake. Her phone never does that. I called like 10 times in a row, and finally, I gave up. I wanted to go ... I don't know ... grab a drink or something. (Yeah, I always say it, but never do it.) I sobbed and sobbed some more, until finally, I sat there quietly.

There was no more fight in me. I was done. I knew my mommy instincts kicked in the moment I thought "I wonder what kind of sales they have today." And, I was off. 30 minutes later, I was pulling into our driveway with a trunk full of groceries.

I even bought ice cream -- my way of making everything better, I guess. I felt bad for yelling in the van. As soon as I walked in the door, my 2-year-old screamed. "MOMMY! YAY! MOMMY HOME!"

My 2-year-old is the one who can drive me to run away (okay, I guess we can't really call that running away.) But, he's also the one who makes me want to run to him when I walk in the door. Oh, that boy. What am I going to do with him? I'm sure there will be many more tears. But, I'm also sure there will be more laughs than tears.

And that -- no, he -- will always bring me home.

4 comments:

Karen L. said...

Oh yes I've run away in the mommy van, and just about the same distance too :). We run away(to the grocery store) but the distance makes us forget the need to be away and yearn for our 'brood' again! And isn't it nice to be welcomed back home with little open arms.....

Marjorie said...

Your friend in Ohio with six kids will definitely be disappointed that she wasn't able to receive your phone call. Just so you know, I was able to connect with her a few times yesterday. They had a massive wind storm in the area they live (thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Ike) and more than 850,000 homes and businesses are without power. Because so many tried to make phone calls, it congested the cell phones and many calls were turned away. They can use our prayers right now because being without electricity and having six children can't be fun! I don't know how long it will be before they get it all repaired, but they say it will be a week for some places. I just wonder how the people who live there can buy food, water, even gasoline with no electricity. I'm praying electricity will be restored much faster than they are predicting.

Suzy A. Richardson said...

Oh my goodness! I knew it had to be something CRAZY for her not to answer her phone, because she is ALWAYS there for me!

Stace said...

See this is the part that makes that KEY WORD so much more bold. :) You are an amazing mother. . .and we all know your kids love you very much.